There are fewer things in life I love more than having a drink in my hand, sittin’ poolside with the smell of meats (always plural) sizzlin’ on the grill on a warm summer day. Lucky for me, every day is summer in Los Angeles. Omar (that’s my boyfriend! He’s handsome and funny and smart. Details on him later.) and I decided we wanted to have some friends over for a day of casual drinking, poolside lounging, and gluttony. Considering we are in full-blown wedding season, I still want to be able to fit into my dresses in the next few months, so I wanted to keep things semi-healthy. I always try to cook Whole30 compliant, but this meal had alcohol (YOLO), and a tiny pinch of parmesan sprinkled on the cauliflower. So sue me. It would have been very easy to make this whole meal 100% paleo, but my guests didn’t care and neither did I. Saturdays are for living on the edge.
We also are on an insane budget right now. So each recipe I picked was because we already had most of these ingredients sitting in our fridge begging to be eaten.
We wanted to document our feelings about the sangria. Pure. Joy.
Honestly, guys, I was a little toasty throughout the day because of this super simple and refreshing sangria recipe I made, so I have very little photographic evidence of our spread. But lucky for you, every recipe I found is on Pinterest! God bless the internet.
MENU & RECIPES!
- 1 lb skirt steak (the inspiration of this meal! Omar went to the grocery store without me one day and came home with $50 worth of meat. Just as I am a sucker for a pair of shoes on sale, Omie cannot resist some good discounted meats.)
- This Chimichurri Recipe that served as both a marinade and a delicious meat topper!
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower – I wrapped this up in aluminum foil and let it sit on the grill for about 40 minutes.
- Balsamic Bacon Green Bean Salad – if you don’t know who Danika Brysha is, get to know her now. I’ve only met her once and I’m kiiiiind of obsessed. She is the inspiration behind why I primarily eat Whole30 / paleo, and her business Model Meals is genius. This recipe ain’t half bad either. Seriously. Love her like I love her and I will love you too.
- Corn on the cob – grill it, slather on the butter (or not, if Melissa Hartwig is reading this), sprinkle on some salt and pep, and go to town!!!!!!! Toothpicks post-masticating recommended.
- Paleo Peach Blueberry Crisp – insanely simple. And perfect for the hoarder in me who coincidentally had 5 packages of blueberries in my freezer because they are in season and only .88 cents a pop. I threw this in the oven while we lounged at the pool so I didn’t have to deal with the apartment getting too hot.
Enjoy summer food while you can, ya gluttons!